Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Where to begin...

LLELA; 2,000 acres of severely degraded undeveloped land in the heart of Lewisville Texas.
LLELA; the place where I gather, propagate, and restore native Texas plant genetics.
LLELA; just a weird acronym that stands for the place where I play scientist. 

Okay, I jumped in, my feet are officially wet, and the water seems fine so far...

You see, I've never read a blog, much less written one.  The closest I've come is looking at (I didn't say picking up) the appropriate "For Dummies" book at Barnes & Noble.  I'm no dummy, but I am ignorant of how this all works.  Forgive my learning curve as I hit the ground not running, but tripping, falling, rolling over a few times, hopefully getting back up, but eventually learning, and possibly sharing.

What I have to share are my experiences, observations, successes, and even failures encountered along the way, as a small group of people struggle through bureaucratic red tape, droughts, floods, fire, and more as we work to bring a piece of Texas back to the way it was before Europeans arrived and did all the things that were done to the land.  Granted we can't know exactly what that land actually looked like, but we can make a reasonable guess at restoration from tiny remnants of prairie that still exist, tucked away in forgotten corners and easements, hidden like treasure to be found by those who know how and where to look.

Sowinging Seed -- Courtesy Richard Freiheit
So that's what I do in a nutshell.  Let the treasure hunt begin!

(Oh yeah, LLELA is also known as the Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area.)

3 comments:

  1. Great work you are doing and Im enjoying the beautiful pictures! Keep up the good work Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I plan to keep the blog focused around some of the great shots that showcase the beauty of LLELA. I figure a pretty picture is worth more than a thousand words...

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone who has never read a blog before you are doing a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete