Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snowed in; Reflections on a Different Time

 February, 2011, Superbowl weekend; snowed in and climbing the walls with cabin fever.  My unoccupied mind wanders to another time and place.  At LLELA, a restored original 1850's homestead stands as a reminder of what life was like, as Europeans settled the plains.  Back then, "snowed in" was potentially fatal, and the "cabin fever" really was due to being inside a single room, dirt floor cabin structure...




February, 1850 and the wind and snow blow in through gaps around your windows, shuttered tight and dark.  If the chinking you stuffed between your logs falls out, the walls themselves will become little barrier to the cold.  You pray that your log chimney doesn't catch fire again, forcing you to shove it away from your one room home in order to save what you can.  There you are, alone, in the dark, cold, waiting, wondering if you will simply survive until the spring thaw.  You ration the candles you have made for times only when light is necessary.  Is there enough food and game?  Will wild predators attack in an attempt to feed themselves during these long cold months?  Will unknown hostiles avail themselves of your belongings, or worse..?


Photo Catherine Atkinson
The last time it snowed here in Texas, I stumbled and slipped my way  out and took some shots of the wonderful cabin, sod house, smokehouse, and other scenes at LLELA.  I've added a little sepia tone on some, to enhance the "what if" factor of these, but I assure you, they were all taken at LLELA in this century, with a digital camera no less.  What would we do without television, the Internet, football, grocery stores, cars, even electricity and fresh water?  Could you survive a winter alone in a single room cabin, dirt floor; your ingenuity and imagination all you have to stay sane and alive?

 Although I love these shots of the cabin and homestead area during the snowstorm, to me Owen Richard's wonderful bison shot (below) looks the most like something from a long lost distant place and time.  None-the-less, even this herd of genetically pure bison still exists today at LLELA.  Given the attendance level of our bison tours, and the almost inevitable, "Can we see the buffalo?" from our volunteers, I must dedicate a post to them in the future.  But for now, I'm sticking with cold, bored, and snow...

Photo Owen Richards



4 comments:

  1. Hey. What seems like a lifetime ago I began to write a little about the bison and their effect on the prairie. Not sure how far I got with it. Ask me about Monday at the office and I'll let you read it if I can even find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I mention my plans for guest bloggers? I have already asked Erin about her prairie fire piece. I have Owen's permission for his photos. You have a "burn victim" piece to write... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill - Our very first Christmas Open House at LLELA, some 3 or 4 years ago, a cold front blew through that very day. The wind was blowing about 20-30 mph, sleet and snow were falling, and it was COLD! Needless to say, no one but the volunteers showed up. We all bundled into the log house, shut all the doors and shutters, started a fire in the fireplace and put the apple cider on it to heat, lit the oil lamps, and got a real taste of what it would have been like back in the 1870s. Our wonderful musicians (thank you, George and Brigid) played Christmas tunes from the late 1800s and we sang along. It made for a very memorable day. But it was still COLD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an experience! Not sure if I should be envious or not though... ;)

    ReplyDelete